Here I am!!

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Lucknow visit


I still have to figure out why Lucknow is called the city of Nawabs....Till now my experience here has been pretty good. Seems like that Lucknow is a pretty laid back town overall. I have been roaming around Hazratganj Market which gives an old Connaught Place feeling.
Traffic on the roads is not too bad. Most of e vehicles I saw on the road were state owned Ambassador cars.... People on the bikes don't have to wear helmets and rickshaw walas occasionally abuse the car drivers which is completely opposite to what happens in Delhi...
One very peculiar thing I noticed is the visible politics on the streets.... Although you can't call Lucknow a small town but the lifestyle is kinda old townish, but now and then you can see a group of bimbos and you are forced to rethink your the conclusions you have drawn....
Another thing what Lucknow is famous for is Lucnoe Chikan. Chikan is basically skilfully hand embroided cloth..Mom bought a few for Jo and also a kurta for me which I didn't like as it was nearly see through ;-).
I also got my hands on the ''Tunday kabab'' and ''Mutton Biryani''.....Kababs were awesome....Now l wiill be looking for places in Delhi where I can get this mouth watering delicacy of ''Awadh''....Lucknow is also a city with a mix of various cultures....you can see women in Hijab to salwar kurta clad white women (probably working for a christian missionary ) to a typical Hindu woman wearing bright coloured sari... It was definitely a welcome change from fast Delhi life still having all the goodies of a city..... I think I won't mind coming here again every quarter or so (obviously I have to come to visit mom and dad )...over all it was a nice experience...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home